Did you know that NYC’s pre-K programs are offered in three different program settings? All settings offer the same full day, high-quality pre-K curriculum to our city’s four-year-old children. You can apply to programs in all settings:
- New York City Early Education Centers (NYCEECs). These community-based organizations with early childhood expertise partner with the Department of Education (DOE) to offer pre-K.
- District schools. Some DOE public elementary schools offer pre-K.
- Pre-K Centers. These are DOE early childhood centers that only offers grades below kindergarten.
A pre-K program can offer up to three types of pre-K seats:
- Full Day seats are free and provide early care and education for 6 hours and 20 minutes a day during the school year, typically September to June. All NYC children born in 2018 are eligible for these seats.
- Extended Day and Year seats are free or low cost and provide early care and education all year round for up to 10 hours of care a day. Eligibility for these seats is based on family income and needs. If you receive an offer to an Extended Day and Year seat, you will need to confirm your child’s eligibility by completing a Child Care application.
- Head Start seats are free and provide early care and education all year round for up to 10 hours a day. Eligibility for Head Start is based on family income and needs. If you receive an offer to a Head Start seat, the program will work with you directly to confirm your child’s eligibility.
Learn more at nyc.gov/PreK.
With your MySchools account, you can use the searchable directory to filter for programs by setting, seat types, and other features, including dual language programs and more! Log in to save favorite programs, add programs to your application, and apply. Questions or need support?
- Email us at ESEnrollment@schools.nyc.gov.
- Call us at 718-935-2009.
- Contact or visit a Family Welcome Center.
The Pre-K Admissions Team, Office of Student Enrollment