Here are some updates on the DOE Summer Rising 2022 Program. As previously announced by Chancellor David C. Banks on March 11, 2022, DOE buildings will host students in grades K–8 for Summer Rising 2022.
Summer Rising 2022 is a partnership between New York City’s Department of Education (DOE) and the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) and combine academic support and school-based enrichment programming led by Community Based Organizations (CBOs), and students will have daily opportunities to play, create, explore, and develop new interests. The K-8 enrollment process will be led by the DOE this summer.
Here are a few key points that will be useful to share with families.
- Programs will be full-day, in-person, planned and operated collaboratively by school principals and community-based organizations.
- All New York City residents who are currently in grades K-8 are eligible for summer programs.
- Students who are mandated to attend summer programming in June will be able to access a seat affiliated with their home campus
- New York City students who do not attend a DOE school will have the opportunity to apply as well.
- Students attending summer programming will be offered free breakfast and lunch daily.
- All Health and safety guidelines and practices will carry over into the summer.
- The list of DOE buildings that will host students will be available soon on the DOE website. These locations will be on the application, so that families can begin to apply on April 25, 2022.
As a reminder, families may choose to enroll in any location or program that has open seats and serves the appropriate grade level. Please direct families to NYC.gov/SummerRising for details on how to enroll and encourage families to apply for Summer Rising 2022, as soon as possible. The Summer Rising Enrollment Portal will open on April 25, 2022 -beginning on this day any student who is currently in grades K–8 is eligible.
Attached a Summer Application Family Guide that is available in all 10 languages for families – you can also find an overview of the program, enrollment, FAQ, and an updated calendar, highlighting key summer dates for students are all on the DOE website at https://www.schools.nyc.gov/enrollment/summer/grades-k-8
Enrollment will be open to any student currently in grades K-8 who wants to participate until the summer seat capacity in each building is reached. For questions, families can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is the link to BN Summer Rising Town Hall: