The first day of school is Thursday, September 7, 2023. We’re excited to welcome you back and begin this journey together! Over the course of the next year, we look forward to helping your children learn and grow, academically and socially.
Here are a few important reminders to help you prepare for a great start to the new school year.
Get Connected… to stay informed of the latest news and exciting things happening in NYC Public Schools:
- Create a New York City Schools Account (NYCSA). If you already have an account, make sure your information is up to date. Learn more at schools.nyc.gov/NYCSA.
- Bookmark our website.
- Follow us @nycschools and @doechancellor.
- Meet your principal.
- Know your child’s teachers and learn about their classroom routines and curriculum.
- Meet/Join your PTA—they play a vital role in enhancing the school experience for both students and parents. Learn how you can get involved.
- Connect with your Community and Citywide Education Council (CCEC). Your voice matters, and the CCEC provides a platform for parents to engage with educational matters in your district. We encourage you to attend their meetings and share your insights.
- Make sure your children are on a regular sleep schedule and that you’ve practiced your family’s morning routine (including your route to school) with them before the first day.
- Review the 2023-24 School Calendar at schools.nyc.gov/calendar for information on upcoming events and closures throughout the year. Reading is a fantastic way to prepare for the upcoming school year and foster a love for learning.
- Visit schools.nyc.gov/literacy for tips and reading resources to help you develop your child’s literacy at home.
- Submit all required health forms before the start of the year. For more information about health requirements to attend school, visit schools.nyc.gov/schoolhealth.
- Double check that your child is up to date on all required vaccinations. Visit schools.nyc.gov/immunization for more information.
For more information on how to have an A+ first day of school, read our Back-to-School Checklist at schools.nyc.gov/checklist.
We can’t wait to see you on September 7!
Wishing you a successful school year,
Family and Community Engagement & External Affairs